Woodlawn is a United Methodist Church, and welcomes all with open arms. We seek to shape those who are part of our community to be the heart, hands and feet of Jesus in the world today.
Baptism is required of members, and the United Methodist Church recognizes any previous baptism received in a previous congregation, whether as a child or adult.
Membership may be brought into the congregation by transfer from another Christian congregation, or, when membership is not currently held in another church, persons will become members through answering of six questions:
- On behalf of the whole church, I ask you: Do you renounce the spiritual forces of wickedness, reject the evil powers of this world, and repent of your sin? “I do.”
- Do you accept the freedom and power God gives you to resist evil, injustice, and oppression in whatever forms they present themselves? “I do.”
- Do you confess Jesus Christ as your savior, put your whole trust in his grace, and promise to serve him as your lord, in union with the church which Christ has opened to people of all ages, nations and races? “I do.”
- According to the grace given to you will you remain faithful members of Christ’s holy church and serve as Christ’s representatives in the world? “I will.”
- As a member of Christ’s universal church, will you be loyal to the United Methodist church and do all in your power to strengthen its ministries? “I will.”
- As a member of Woodlawn UMC, will you faithfully participate in its ministries by your prayers, your presence, your gifts, your service and your witness? “I will.”